Google Chrome is unresponsive. Relaunch Now?
If Google Chrome is blocked by a process or a Browser Extension. It displays the message “Google Chrome is unresponsive. Relaunch Now?”. You have two choices a Yes or a No button. This message is caused by many causes.
It might be an external program trying to open a website, or a Browser Extension trying to contact a specific host and then freezes. In our sandbox this message was caused by adware, adware is software with advertisements trying to open as many websites (redirects) as possible, causing Google Chrome to eventually freeze.
As stated before there are many causes this message “Google Chrome is unresponsive. Relaunch Now?” occurs.
There are, plenty of methods to check and clean Google Chrome from any old, non-functioning or even malicious Browser Extensions or settings.
Check Google Chrome for old, non-functioning, not needed or malicious Browser Extensions.
- Open Google Chrome
- Go to the Chrome menu, three stripes in the right top corner.
- Go to More Tools
- Go to Extensions
- Remove any extension listed in the panel, search for extensions you do not need or don’t know.
- Check if the problem is solved now.
Reset Google Chrome to default settings
If you keep experience this problem and want to reset Google Chrome to its default settings. Follow this instruction.
Reset Google Chrome to default settings
- In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu
- Select Settings.
- At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
- Under the section “Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
- In the dialog that appears, click Reset. Note: When the “Help make Google Chrome better by reporting the current settings” checkbox is selected you are anonymously sending Google your Chrome settings. Reporting these settings allows Google to analyze trends and work to prevent future unwanted settings changes.
Scan your computer and browser(s) for Adware with MalwareBytes AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner will scan for malicious files in your computer and browser.
The AdwCleaner tool will scan for malicious Services, Folders, Files, Shortcuts, Registry keys and Browser Extensions for Google Chrome, Firefox and Browser Helper Objects for Internet Explorer.
After the scan, you can remove the found malicious items using AdwCleaner and clean your computer and browser(s).
Notice: if you have problems downloading AdwCleaner, because of popups that keep opening when clicking a link because of adware
Go to this URL: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/
- Before running AdwCleaner, close all open programs and browsers.
- Select the executable for AdwCleaner you just downloaded from the link above.
- Accept their terms by clicking the “I Agree” button
- Select the Scan button to start scanning your computer and browser for malicious files.
- to remove the malicious items found by AdwCleaner using the detection Scan, select the Cleaning button.
- Make sure to close all open programs and browser(s) to continue removing the detected items from your computer.
- Click OK to continue.
- Your computer is rebooted after the removal process.
Remove any Malware from your computer and browser(s) with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free’s industry-leading scanner detects and removes malware like worms, Trojans, rootkits, rogues, spyware, and more. All you have to do is launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and run a scan. It’s that simple.
Or if you want even better protection, consider Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and its instant real-time scanner that automatically prevents malware and websites from infecting your PC.
Either way, you’re crushing malware and foiling hackers.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works great alongside Antivirus software, both MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and Antivirus software go along and provide the best protection for your computer.
Install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware using its installation wizard.
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware needs no configs or specific settings, just install and you are ready to scan your computer for malware and free removal.
- Select Scan Now to perform an anti-malware scan.
- Malwarebytes computer is scanning for malicious items, this might take a while, please wait for MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to finish.
- When the detection scan is finished, a window appears with the malware found by Malwarebytes.
To remove the found malware from your computer, select the Remove Selected button.
- All found items will be put in quarantine, if MalwareBytes Anti-Malware requires a reboot to do so, please allow MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to reboot Windows.
As this message “Google Chrome is unresponsive. Relaunch Now?” is caused in our test environment because of Adware, we advise anti-malware tools to check your computer for any malware. The tools Adwcleaner and Malwarebytes are both free to use.