Google Chrome has a feature to detect whenever a Browser Hijacker, Adware or a Browser Extension changed your New Tab, Search Provider, Homepage settings within Google Chrome. If Google Chrome detects any unusual changes in these settings, Chrome will display a pop-up with the notice “Is this the startup page you were expecting?“.
And Google Chrome does a good job, our homepage has indeed changed to www-searching.com, a common and very active Browser Hijacker.
An extension has changed what page is shown when you search from the omnibox. If you didn’t want these changes, you can restore your previous settings “.
When you decide to Restore the settings, you will be taken to the extension responsible for these changes. You are offered to disable the extension and restore your changes. After you reverted the changes and disabled the extension responsible for the changes, you should also look thru your currently installed extensions.
- Open Google Chrome
- Goto the Chrome menu, three stripes in the right top corner.
- Goto More Tools
- Goto Extensions
- Remove any extension listed in the panel, search for extensions you do not need.
Detect and Remove Browser Extensions with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner will scan for Coupon Downloader malicious files in your computer and browser.
The AdwCleaner tool will scan for malicious Services, Folders, Files, Shortcuts, Registry keys and Browser Extensions for Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Firefox. After the scan you can remove the found malicious items using AdwCleaner and clean your computer and browser(s).
Notice: if you have problems downloading AdwCleaner, because of popups that keep opening when clicking a link because of adware
Goto this url: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/
- Before running AdwCleaner, close all open programs and browsers.
- Select the executable for AdwCleaner you just downloaded from the link above.
- Accept their terms by clicking the “I Agree” button
- Select the Scan button to start scanning your computer and browser for malicious files.
- to remove the malicious items found by AdwCleaner using the detection Scan, select the Cleaning button.
- Make sure to close all open programs and browser(s) to continue removing the detected items from your computer.
- Click OK to continue.
- Your computer is rebooted after the removal process.
Remove malicious Browser Extensions with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free’s industry-leading scanner detects and removes malware like worms, Trojans, rootkits, rogues, spyware, and more. All you have to do is launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and run a scan. It’s that simple.
Or if you want even better protection, consider Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and its instant real-time scanner that automatically prevents malware and websites from infecting your PC.
Either way you’re crushing malware and foiling hackers.
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware works great alongside Antivirus software, both MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and Antivirus software go along and provide the best protection for your computer.
Install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware using it’s installation wizard.
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware needs no configs or specific settings, just install and you are ready to scan your computer for malware and free removal.
- Select Scan Now to perform a anti-malware scan.
- Malwarebytes computer is scanning for malicious items, this might take a while, please wait for MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to finish.
- When the detection scan is finished, a window appears with the malware found by MalwareBytes.
To remove the found malware from your computer, select the Remove Selected button.
- All found items will be put in quarantine, if MalwareBytes Anti-Malware requires to a reboot to do so, please allow MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to reboot Windows.