How can you avoid adware and Browser Hijackers ? Often adware and other potentially unwanted software called “PUP” is related to one of the most common computer problems. In this article you can read more about preventing adware and Browser Hijackers, and what you should pay attention to when installing software. However, such potentially unwanted programs are given the statement “virus”, but technically it is obviously not a virus, thereby Antivirus software does not trigger a alert on PUP or Adware related software. Probably this is why adware is so active at this moment.
The good thing is you will see that more and more security packages as MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Anti-Malware detect Adware as PUP.optional “dangerous” threats and advise you to remove them to keep your computer clean.
Adware and Browser Hijackers prevention
One of the most common causes of the presence of Adware , Browser Hijackers and other potentially unwanted software is due to installing free software that is downloaded from websites like Softonic, Brothersoft , CNET, Portalux and other similar providers of free software. Those websites provide a wrapper that mostly contain unwanted software. All free programs available for download at this kind of websites contain unwanted toolbars , browser extensions, and all kinds of software which optional whether unsolicited installed on your computer.
- Never download free software from websites like Softonic, Brothersoft , CNET, Portalux and similar sites .
- Do never download software through Torrent , P2P ( peer-to-peer) networks and Newsgroups.
- Download free software always from the website of the maker or manufacturer.
- Small installation files of about several hundred kB often refer to a specific downloader or wrapper, as it will download additional adware during the “installation proces”.
- If the installer offers a custom or advanced installation method, choose it to make sure you can uncheck any unwanted items during installation.
- Also software that is offered from official sites contain unwanted software, for example a toolbar that might be handy. If you do not want it, make sure you uncheck it during installation. Not all adware comes from dubious sources.
- By using the custom installation instead of standard installation, you will often see faster if there are any bundled software during installation. Again this is very important!
If you have doubts about the reliability of certain software, you can use a online virusscan from VirusTotal (max size 64MB per file). Often the installation files from websites like Softonic, Brothersoft , CNET, Portalux that are hundreds of KB in size this might be a clue that it is a custom installation of the software; ie a preloader.
Consequences of unwanted software
All programs in the category of potentially unwanted software are of course by definition malware related. Between adware, spyware and unwanted software is also quite a gray area , and that is why such software is simply given as a virus popularly and that is not surprising since such software simply cumbersome and can take care of your computer. Below you can read what the consequences of the presence of potentially unwanted software can be on your computer.
- Unwanted software (adware) can significantly slow down the computer and the browser you use.
- Adware and Browser Hijackers may promote pop-ups and junk files causing; for example play audio ads.
- Browser Hijackers are made to change the home page and default search provider.
- Search engines related to unwanted software (adware) can monitoring your internet behavior and display relevant ads.
- Data collected about your internet behavior may be passed on to eg ad networks or other third parties.
- Search engines related to unwanted software (adware) can pose a risk for the spread of malware in general.
Often, browser hijackers and dubious search engines do not provide us with certain filters that filter potentially harmful websites, increasing the risk of malware infection significantly. This is making certain areas that are known for spreading example simply easy to redirect you to an exploit through the search results and then infect your computer.
If you find this article useful, please share it using social media and help other prevent adware and any other potentially unwanted software.