In this tutorial, I will explain step by step how to remove adware from your Android phone or tablet. It is common knowledge that Windows computers can become infected with adware. As with Windows, cybercriminals are increasingly focusing on operating systems that are frequently purchased by users, including more and more Android devices.
Since 2018 we see more and more adware for Android. This is because the control of applications in the Google Play store still leaves much to be desired. The control of malicious applications in the Google Play store is downright miserable. Because of the poor control in the Google AppStore makes it attractive for adware developers to distribute adware applications through the Google Play Store and thereby infect Android devices.
If your Android device, Android phone, or Android tablet got infected with adware, several problems immediately occur.
Unwanted advertisements are shown, your Android device becomes slower and your data may be stolen. However, cybercriminals usually abuse Android for advertising purposes. The Google Chrome browser is then redirected through many ad networks and then ends up on a scam site trying to sell you a product or have adware installed.
Whatever you experience on your Android device, in this tutorial, I explain how to remove Android adware step by step.
How to remove adware from Android
First of all, you need to start your phone or tablet in Android safe mode. Doing so will only load the default apps and settings. Safe mode will give us a chance to remove apps and settings.
Boot Android in Safe mode
- Long press the Power button wait till Power Off appears.
- Tap and hold Power off till Safe mode appears.
- Tap on Safe mode
- Your Android or Phone will now load into Android Safe mode. You will notice the device is in Safe mode if “Safe mode” is visible at the bottom of the screen.
Uninstall administrator apps
Adware applications on Android abuse the privilege of administrator apps to prevent users from uninstalling unwanted apps from their devices. In this step, I show you how to remove applications that force the administrator privilege and prevent you from uninstalling the app.
- Go to the Settings
- Goto device admin apps
- Goto the Search in Android and type device admin apps
- Click on the right of the app you would like to remove the admin profile from, set the switch to off.
Uninstall adware application
After you have removed the admin profile, you need to remove the adware application from your Android phone or tablet. When you are unsure which app is responsible you can scan your Android device with Malwarebytes in the next step.
- Go to the Settings on your Android device
- Tap on Apps, scroll through the list to identify any unknown applications.
- Tap on the App you would like to uninstall. First Force close the app then uninstall.
Reboot your Android device
After you have performed the steps as described in this instruction you need to boot your device to normal mode, so exit Safe mode.
- Hold the power button on your device.
- Select restart from the menu.
Your device is now rebooted into Android without Safe mode.
Remove adware with Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes is able to remove adware from your phone or tablet. Malwarebytes is 100% free for Android. I do recommend to scan your Android device with Malwarebytes, even when you are not sure your device is infected.
Install Malwarebytes and run a scan. The installation of Malwarebytes is easy and straightforward, just follow installation instructions.
Clear application data
Adware leaves traces and modifies browser settings. In order to successfully remove adware from your Android device, I do recommend to clear application data within Android. Clear application data will reset the browser and clears site data and cache.
- Open the Settings on your android device.
- Tap on apps, list all installed apps.
- Tap on the web browser you are using e.g. Chrome, Firefox, etc.
- Tap on Storage
- Tap on Manage Storage
- Tap on Clear all data
It is easy to remove adware apps from your Android phone or Android tablet. Enjoy a clean Android device!