Updated: June 2017.
When you experience advertisements and pop-ups in Google Chrome it is advised to check Google Chrome and your Windows computer for malicious adware or potentially unwanted software.
The adware may cause all kind of problems within Google Chrome, adware may cause unwanted redirects, pop-ups or inline text advertisements with ads you do not want. These ads are used to promote sales or web traffic to malicious websites or publisher in order to make revenue.
These ads, pop-ups or redirects are caused by “adware” but adware is a name we give to a specific component that is installed on Google Chrome. The true problem in Google Chrome is often a malicious Browser Extension or installed Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs).
What is adware
Adware or advertising-supported software is any software application that displays advertisements while it’s running. These applications also contain codes that display these ads in a pop-up or pop-under window or in another window that appears on the computer screen.
Adware helps recover development costs or maintenance costs for the developers. Prices of the application to the user layer or even free Revenues software developers can generate profits and motivate them to continue to develop and maintain these applications.
Some adware is also shareware, users can also opt for a “registered” version set that contains no ads (this is not the case in Browser Extensions for Google Chrome.
Some adware programs also include a code that keeps track of a user’s personal information and passes it on to third parties without the approval or knowledge of the user. This is called spyware, or for most non-technical computer users a “virus” or malware in general.
How to Remove Adware from Google Chrome
the fastest and easiest way to remove adware from Google Chrome is to reset Google Chrome to default settings. Notice; the problem is not always solved when you reset Google Chrome as the additional adware causing the problem often remains installed on the affected computer.
If it doesn’t work and the problem remains, it is advised to scan your computer using the free software AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Both AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware are free to scan your computer and remove adware or any form of malware.
Let’s get started to reset Google Chrome to default settings to check if the problem is fixed using resetting to default. If not, go to the next step AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to scan your computer for malware.
Reset your Browser to default settings (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox)
Scroll down for Google Chrome
Remove malicious adware from Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer users: select the wrench button in the top right corner, from the menu select “Manage add-ons”.
Check the add-ons list for any suspicious Browser Helper Objects, select the suspicious entry and click Remove or Disable. If the button is grayed out, scan your computer with malware removal tools to remove the malicious add-on.
Reset your default Homepage and Search engine for Internet Explorer
The fastest and easiest way to reset your default homepage and the search engine is by resetting Internet Explorer to default settings.
Internet Explorer users: select the wrench button in the top right corner, from the menu select “Internet Options“.
Select “Advanced” from the tab menu, Click the Reset button.
Check “Delete personal settings” and click the Reset button.
Restart Internet Explorer for the changes to take effect.
Remove malicious adware from Google Chrome
Google Chrome users: select the menu button in the top right corner, from the menu select “More Tools” and then “Extensions“.
Search for any unknown Extension(s) from the list and remove them by clicking the trashcan icon.
Continue to the next step, Reset Google Chrome Sync.
Reset your Chrome sync
Google Chrome sync your profile with their services. If the Google Chrome browser is infected with adware, this adware is also synced with Google’s servers.
It is important to clean this cache. If you don’t clear the synced cache the problem keeps coming back on any devices the profile is synchronized with.
- Open your Google Dashboard. Make sure you are signed in to your Google Account.
- Click Reset sync to stop syncing and clear all of your synced data.
- Click OK.
Continue to the next step, reset Google Chrome.
Reset your default Homepage and Search engine for Google Chrome
The fastest and easiest way to reset your default homepage and the search engine is by resetting Google Chrome to default settings.
Google Chrome users: select the menu button in the top right corner, from the menu select “Settings“.
Scroll down to “Advanced” and again Scroll down to Reset settings.
Click the “Reset” button to Reset Google Chrome, a new dialog appears.
Confirm the Reset of Google Chrome by clicking the “Reset” button.
Restart Google Chrome for the changes to take effect.
Continue to the next step Google Chrome Cleanup Tool
Google Chrome Cleanup Tool
The Google Chrome Cleanup tool is able to detect and remove malware from the Google Chrome browser. Chrome Cleanup tool performs a malware scan and will reset Google Chrome after the scan. The Google Chrome cleanup tool is completely free to use.
The Google Chrome cleanup tool is only meant to clean Google Chrome, it does not protect or remove malware from other browsers, obviously. The Google Chrome Cleanup utility should be used if you experience: crashes, unwanted redirects, pop-up advertisements, unwanted start-up pages or any other undesired activity within Google Chrome.
Start Chrome Cleanup Tool with right click and select Run as Administrator
Select Yes to Accept User Account Control
Chrome Cleanup Tool is searching for malicious programs
If malicious programs are found the Chrome Cleanup Tool will remove them for you.
After the scan, the Chrome Cleanup Tool will Reset Google Chrome to its default settings.
Click Reset to complete the Google Chrome Cleanup.
Remove malicious adware from Firefox
Firefox users: select the menu button in the top right corner, from the menu select “Add-ons“.
Select Extensions from the left menu. Search any unknown Browser Extension(s) and remove it by clicking the Remove button.
Reset your default Homepage and Search engine for Firefox
The fastest and easiest way to reset your default homepage and the search engine is by resetting Firefox to default settings.
select the menu button in the top right corner, from the menu, select “?” (the question mark icon, at the end of the menu).
select Troubleshooting information from the menu.
select the Refresh Firefox button, and confirm the Refresh Firefox dialog once again to Reset Firefox to default settings.
Click Finish, Firefox will restart.
Remove Malicious Browser Extensions, Adware or Malware with Removal Tools
(Free & Shareware tools, don’t worry!)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 3
Malwarebytes is a next-generation antivirus replacement. Malwarebytes is the first of its kind for home users, employing four independent technology modules, anti-malware, anti-ransomware, anti-exploit, and malicious website protection to block and remove both known and unknown threats.
Detects and prevents contact with fake websites and malicious links. You are proactively protected from downloading malware, hacking attempts, and infected advertising. Worried about wandering into a “bad” Internet neighborhood? Now you don’t have to be.
Wraps your browser and software programs in four layers of defense, stopping attacks that use vulnerabilities in those programs to infect your computer. Clean your computer now with Malwarebytes free.
Malwarebytes works great alongside Antivirus software, both Malwarebytes and Antivirus software go along and provide the best protection for your computer.
- Run the Malwarebytes installation file.
- Select Scan Now to perform an Anti-Malware scan.
- Malwarebytes is scanning the computer for any viruses, trojans, adware, spyware, ransomware, and potentially unwanted programs.
Please wait for Malwarebytes to finish the anti-malware scan, the anti-malware scan usually takes around 2 to 5 minutes to complete.
- When the anti-malware scan is finished, Malwarebytes will show the results of the anti-malware scan.
To remove the detected malware from your computer, select the Quarantine Selected button.
- All found malware will be moved to quarantine. Malwarebytes requires a reboot to complete the removal process.
- Restart your computer.
- After the reboot, all the malware detected by Malwarebytes is moved to quarantine. The removal process is finished.
Malwarebytes AdwCleaner searches for adware, browser hijackers, malware files and removes them for free.
The Malwarebytes AdwCleaner tool will specifically scan for malicious Windows Services, Folders, Files, Shortcuts, Registry keys, Windows Tasks and Browser Extensions.
Malwarebytes AdwCleaner is used to clean Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox.
- Right Click the executable AdwCleaner.exe and select “Run as Administrator” this is important.
- Accept their terms by clicking the “I Agree” button
- Select the Scan “Look for Adware/PUPs” button to start scanning your computer and browser for malicious files.
- to remove the malicious items found by Malwarebytes AdwCleaner using the detection Scan, select the Clean “Remove the selected elements” button.
- Make sure to close all open programs and browser(s) to continue removing the detected items from your computer.
- Click OK to continue.
- Your computer is rebooted after the removal process, click Reboot Now.
This means that all data such as the malware definitions but also analyses are conducted entirely over the internet.
- Real-Time Protection – Fast and efficient malware detection and removal. Prevention of future infections.
- Bootkit and Rootkit Remediator – Rootkit and bootkit detection and removal.
- Adware Removal Tool – Browser hijacker removal. Detects and removes annoying browser add-on’s, unwanted apps and toolbars.
- Ransomware Protection – Build your defense system against ransomware with Zemana AntiMalware.
- 0-day malware protection – Increased zero-day malware protection using Cloud protection.
- Zemana Anti-Malware is especially very effective against Browser Hijackers.
Zemana Anti-Malware features include protection against viruses, trojans, adware, and spyware. But it also provides effective protection against rootkits and ransomware boot kits.
Buy Zemana Anti-Malware Premium (30% FixYourBrowser discount)
- Open the Zemana Anti-Malware installer
- Install Zemana Anti-Malware using the default settings
- Zemana Anti-Malware will update itself
- Select the Scan button to perform a malware scan
- Wait for the scan to finish, it takes a few minutes.
- Select the Next button to remove the malware found on your computer
- That’s it. All malware is successfully removed from your computer.