If a pop-up from “Microsoft Tech Support” occurs you are redirected to a deceptive and dangerous Support Scam. These often temporary websites are build to scare, trick, and eventually deceive you into calling a very expensive and useless telephone number.
The Microsoft Tech Support scam locks the Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge browser and displays a fake alert. The fake alerts often claim the device is infected with a virus.
Adware is most likely the cause of these Fake Microsoft Tech Support popup scams in your browser.
Fake Microsoft Tech Support Popup – How to Remove?
Removal Instruction – Quick Menu
Optional - Check your browser for Potentially Unwanted Browser Helper Objects and Browser Extensions
If you experience a Tech Support Scam pop-up on Apple Mac OS
follow this Removal Guide to remove Adware from Apple Mac OS
If the pop-up stays on top with alert's in your browser and it seems impossible to close the warnings you need to perform this optional step. After performing this step, please continue with Malwarebytes to start the actual removal of the adware that is causing the pop-up in the browser.
- Start the Windows Task Manager by using CTRL+ALT+DEL for Windows 7 or CTRL+SHIFT+ESC for Windows 8.
It is also possible to hit the taskbar with a right click and select the Task Manager from the menu.
- Select the browser you are using from the list and right-click on it, selecting End Task. It is also possible to use the End Task button at the bottom of the window.
- The internet browser should be closed now, continue to the next step to start the actual removing process of the malware.
Step 1 Remove adware with MalwareBytes AdwCleaner
- Right-click the AdwCleaner executable you just downloaded and select "Run as Administrator" this is important.
- Select the Scan Now button.
- Wait for the adware & malware scan to finish.
- Click the Clean & Repair button to remove the adware and malware from your PC.
- Wait for AdwCleaner to remove the adware and malware from your PC.
- Click the Clean & Restart Now button to finish the malware removal process.
- After the reboot, AdwCleaner shows a summary of the detected and removed malware files.
Step 2 Remove Malware with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes is the most powerful anti-malware solution to detect and proactively remove adware, browser hijackers from the web-browser and viruses including potentially unwanted programs from your PC. Malwarebytes works excellently alongside antivirus software without any conflicts. Malwarebytes is by far the best malware detection and malware removal tool available today.
- Start the Malwarebytes installation setup file. Click here for detailed Malwarebytes installation instructions.
- Click Scan Now to start searching for malware on your PC.
- Malwarebytes will start searching for malware on your PC.
Wait for Malwarebytes to finish the malware scan. The Malwarebytes malware scan usually takes between 2 to 5 minutes to complete.
- Once the malware scan is completed, Malwarebytes will display the results of the malware scan.
In order to remove the found malware on your PC, click the Quarantine Selected button.
- All found malware will be moved to quarantine. Malwarebytes requires a reboot to successfully complete the malware removal process.
- Restart your PC.
- After the restart, all the malware detected by Malwarebytes is moved to quarantine.
Your PC is clean from malware!
Step 3 Remove adware that possible cause the Microsoft Tech Support Support Scam with Zemana Anti-Malware and restore your browser
- Open the Zemana Anti-Malware installer
- Install Zemana Anti-Malware using the default settings
- Zemana Anti-Malware will update itself
- Select the Scan button to perform a malware scan
- Wait for the scan to finish, it takes a few minutes.
- Select the Next button to remove the malware found on your computer
- That's it. All malware is successfully removed from your computer.