What is Ya.Ru – How to Remove
Ya.Ru actually is a Browser Hijacker, for non experienced users often called a virus. It takes over your currently default installed browser, this might be Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera or even Safari for MacOS.
Browser Hijackers alter your default homepage and your default search-engine and redirect them to their own Ya.Ru website.
By doing so, the Ya.Ru Browser Hijacker actually generates traffic to their website for revenue. This traffic is important for them as it delivers information such as search-queries, the location from their “forced” visitors using ip addresses and much more. This information can be used for multiple purposes, which is often for your privacy not a good thing.
Ya.Ru redirect on Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox
Either way it is often the computer user itself which allowed the Ya.Ru Browser Hijacker infect the browser. As, to make it more difficult this is not always the case, adware can also be responsible for installation of a Browser Hijacker such as Ya.Ru.
There are many examples available of dangerous adware that update itself on the background and install malicious software (Ya.Ru) on their own. These dangerous and hidden downloads can download a Browser Hijacker and set is as your default homepage and default search engine.
This hidden installation of a Browser Hijacker is often done using scheduled tasks, malicious windows services or update managers.
You need to be quite experienced to detect these malicious techniques and therefor a general umbrella term such as a virus or malware is what these adware programs might be called. As for now adware is not as harmless as it was before.
Ya.Ru Browser Hijacker a virus or adware?
Browser Hijackers such as Ya.Ru is adware and adware or viruses, are now serious all day threats. Both make a lot of money for all kinds of advertisement networks, criminals (tech support scams etc). So yes they are dangerous for your privacy and Ya.Ru is also dangerous for reputable search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo.
How did Ya.Ru get installed on my Browser? (Internet Explorer, Chrome or Firefox)
When you download and install software from unknown and even some legitimate sources, make sure there are no offers or useful enhancements installed as a third party software.
The installation proces of software can be build using dark patterns.
This basically means that, unfortunately, some installation managers do not adequately disclose that other software, such as this Ya.Ru adware, Browser Hijacker, virus will also be installed on your computer.
You should overview the End User License Agreements (EULA) or their Terms of Agreement before downloading and installing software on to your computer. Do not click to fast through the installation process using a Quick Install of Next button.
By doing so a Browser Hijacker, adware or virus such as Ya.Ru might be installed on your computer and set as your default homepage and search provider.
Anti-Malware and Anti-virus software are useful for the non-experienced user. Anti-Malware and Anti-virus software are both capable of stopping the infection proces before you even noticed it, this can prevent a lot of problems in the future.
Even if you are infected with Malware (Adware, a Browser Hijacker or a virus) the Anti-Malware and Anti-virus software can clean and protect your computer from future infections.
Ya.Ru redirect (Browser Hijacker) – How to Remove?
Rather not use free tools? Try resetting your browser first. Reset Internet Explorer, reset Google Chrome, reset Firefox. If this has not solved the problem, follow the steps of all software advised in this instruction and reset your browser(s) once again.
If you experience a Browser Hijacker on Apple Mac OS
follow this Removal guide to remove Browser Hijacker(s) from Mac OS for free.
Remove Ya.Ru as your homepage with Zemana Anti-Malware Trial
Zemana Anti-Malware is an second opinion anti-malware scanner which uses Cloud technology for malware detection. Zemana is the fastest, smallest and most proactively malware scanner available. Zemana is its best in addition to a primary virus scanner or malware scanner such as Malwarebytes.
Download Zemana Anti Malware
Open the Zemana anti-malware setup file.
Install Zemana anti-malware using the default settings, after successful installation Zemana anti-malware will update itself to the latest version.
Select the Scan button to perform a malware scan, wait for the scan to finish, this usually takes a few minutes.
Click the Next button to remove the malware found by Zemana on your computer.
Wait a couple of seconds for Zemana to remove the malware from your PC.
Your PC is successfully cleaned by Zemana. Zemana is an excellent protection for people searching for a lightweight malware detection and removal tool. Zemana is its best in addition to a more comprehensive antivirus or anti-malware security application such as Malwarebytes.
Remove Ya.Ru – Adware, Browser Hijackers, Redirects with AdwCleaner Free
Malwarebytes adwcleaner searches for adware, browser hijackers, malware files and removes the malware files for free.
The Malwarebytes adwcleaner removal tool will individually scan for malicious windows services, malware folders, malware files, shortcuts hijacked by adware, malware registry keys, windows scheduled tasks and malicious browser extensions. Best of all, adwcleaner is completely free.
- Right-click the AdwCleaner executable you just downloaded and select "Run as Administrator" this is important.
- Select the Scan Now button.
- Wait for the adware & malware scan to finish.
- Click the Clean & Repair button to remove the adware and malware from your PC.
- Wait for AdwCleaner to remove the adware and malware from your PC.
- Click the Clean & Restart Now button to finish the malware removal process.
- After the reboot, AdwCleaner shows a summary of the detected and removed malware files.
Remove Ya.Ru – Malware or virus with MalwareBytes 3 – Anti-Malware Trial
Malwarebytes is free to use, detect, and remove malware from your computer. Detect the latest adware, potentially unwanted programs, and other malware with Malwarebytes. Protect your PC with Malwarebytes.
Malwarebytes works perfectly in addition to a virus scanner.
Run the Malwarebytes program installation file. Click here for Malwarebytes installation instructions.
Click Scan Now to start examining for malware.
Malwarebytes will start searching for malware, please wait for Malwarebytes to finish the malware scan.
Malwarebytes usually takes between 2 to 5 minutes to complete.
Once the malware scan is performed, Malwarebytes will present the results of the malware scan.
Remove the malware found by Malwarebytes using the Quarantine Selected button.
Wait for Malwarebytes to move all malware to quarantine.
Malwarebytes needs to make a system reboot to finish the malware removal process.
Save and close any working documents or open web pages and click Yes to reboot your PC.
After the system reboot, your PC is clean from malware. Stay protected with Malwarebytes against future threats. Malwarebytes stops adware, potentially unwanted programs, malicious web pages, suspicious downloads, viruses, spyware and ransomware from infecting your machine.
Reset Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
Using these instructions you can reset Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox to their default configuration.
Reset Internet Explorer to default settings
- Note: If you are running Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, start Internet Explorer from the desktop. Changing your settings will affect both Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer that you start from the desktop.
- Start Internet Explorer
- On the Tools menu, tap or click Internet options. If you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt.
- In the Internet Options window, tap or click the Advanced tab
- Tap or click Reset. If you're using Windows Internet Explorer 6, click Restore Default
- In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset
Note: Select the Delete personal settings check box if you also want to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data (recommended!).
- When Internet Explorer finishes applying the default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK.
- Exit Internet Explorer and again, start Internet Explorer to see the results.
Reset Google Chrome to default settings
- In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu
- Select Settings.
- At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
- Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
- In the dialog that appears, click Reset.
Note: When the "Help make Google Chrome better by reporting the current settings" checkbox is selected you are anonymously sending Google your Chrome settings. Reporting these settings allows Google to analyze trends and work to prevent future unwanted settings changes.
Settings that change
- Default search engine and saved search engines will be reset and to their original defaults.
- Homepage button will be hidden and the URL that you previously set will be removed.
- Default startup tabs will be cleared. The browser will show a new tab when you start up or continue where you left off if you're on a Chromebook.
- New Tab page will be empty unless you have a version of Chrome with an extension that controls it. In that case, your page may be preserved.
- Pinned tabs will be unpinned.
- Content settings will be cleared and reset to their installation defaults.
- Cookies and site data will be cleared.
- Extensions and themes will be disabled.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to default settings
However, your extensions and themes will be removed and your preferences will be reset.
- Click the menu button and then click help (question sign icon) below.
- From the Help menu choose Troubleshooting Information.
If you're unable to access themenu, type about:support in your address bar to bring up the Troubleshooting Information page.
- Click the Reset Firefox… button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
- To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
- Firefox will close and be reset.
- When it's done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish and Firefox will open.
Thank me! Help other people. Share this information on social media, a forum or website, and contribute to a safer internet for everyone.