FixMyMacos.com pop-up is whats known as adware. Adware promotes lots of websites to trick you into buying software by displaying fake alerts. It is recommended to always read the Terms and Agreements and EULA’s before installing software on your computer, it’s mostly a offer that you accepted and installed adware.
Do never click to fast through the installation process “Next” or “OK” button of software as you will agree to software you might not want to install. If the installer “Download Client” offers a Advanced or Custom option button, click it to find out if there is any other malicious software offered and installed during the installation process.
Remove FixMyMacos.com pop-up from Mac OSX
Scan with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Mac OSX
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Mac OSX
Take notice: if the download-link above – keeps you redirecting to all kind of pop-ups. Please enter the following url in your browser:
Adware is known to hijack links and redirect them to unwanted url’s. We’ve seen this happing a lot in our tests.
- Open the MalwareBytes DMG file and drag MalwareBytes Anti-Malware file to your applications folder.
- Goto your applications folder and open MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
- When Mac OSX alerts you, this software is downloaded from the internet, agree and click Open.
- Perform a automated adware scan with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware by clicking “Scan“.
Remember: this is a adware scan, not a malware scan.
- If adware is found, follow the instructions.
Remove Browser Extensions and Reset Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox
Adware on Mac behaves almost the same on a Windows computer and often use a Browser Extension to promote it’s advertisement or redirects. In this manual removal instruction we are going to remove the possible browser extension for Safari, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. It’s is still advised to also run a automated removal tool as supplied in this instruction to check your computer for related adware files.
Remove adware from Safari Mac OSX
Goto Safari in the OSX menu and select Preferences
Goto tab Extensions and remove all extension listed in the panel using the Uninstall button.
Reset Safari OSX prior to version 8
When u need to reset Safari to default settings and thereby replace your default homepage back to the Apple website, follow this easy instruction.
- Open Safari from the OSX menu
- Click Reset Safari
- Enable all items in the checklist
- Click Reset button
Reset Safari OSX version 8 (MAC OSX Yosemite)
In Safari version 8 for OSX Yosemite, you cannot reset Safari by clicking some easy buttons. You need to go into the system files and remove anything plugged into Safari 8.0.
There is a easy way to reset your homepage.
- Select LEFT Shift button your keyboard
- While holding the LEFT shift, open the Safari browser by clicking the icon on your desktop or Dock.
- Goto the website you want as homepage for example: www.google.com and stay on this website
- Goto Safari in the menu
- Select Preferences
- By Homepage: click the button Set to Current Page.
- Close Safari and open again
- Your default homepage is now the homepage of your choice (if not, perform a scan with AdwareMedic as supplied in this instruction).
Remove adware from Google Chrome Mac OSX
Open Google Chrome
Select the Google Chrome menu and then Settings
On the left select Extensions and remove all extension listed in the panel using the trash can icon.
Reset Google Chrome for Mac OSX
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings and find the “Reset browser settings” section.
- Click Reset browser settings.
- In the dialog that appears, click Reset. Note: When the “Help make Google Chrome better by reporting the current settings” checkbox is selected you are anonymously sending Google your Chrome settings. Reporting these settings allows us to analyze trends and work to prevent future unwanted settings changes.
Resetting your browser settings will impact the settings below:
- Default search engine and saved search engines will be reset and to their original defaults.
- Homepage button will be hidden and the URL that you previously set will be removed.
- Default startup tabs will be cleared. The browser will show a new tab when you startup or continue where you left off if you’re on a Chromebook.
- New Tab page will be empty unless you have a version of Chrome with an extension that controls it. In that case your page may be preserved.
- Pinned tabs will be unpinned.
- Content settings will be cleared and reset to their installation defaults.
- Cookies and site data will be cleared.
- Extensions and themes will be disabled.
Remove adware from Mozilla Firefox Mac OSX
Goto Firefox OSX menu select Preferences
On the left select Extensions and remove all extensions listed in the panel.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- Click the menu button and then click help .
- From the Help menu choose Troubleshooting Information.
- If you’re unable to access the Help menu, type about:support in your address bar to bring up the Troubleshooting information page.
- Click the Reset Firefox… button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
- To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
- Firefox will close and be reset. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish and Firefox will open.