search.strtpoint.com “Search Start Point” is a Browser Hijacker which hijacks your favorite browser and replace your default homepage and default search engine with search.strtpoint.com. Search.strtpoint.com is known to be bundled with free software and offered during the installation process. Take notice that browser hijackers or redirects are not a virus and can be useful. The problem persists in the fact that the user ends up with a homepage they often don’t need or want to.
It’s thereby often the user itself which allowed the search.strtpoint.com homepage on their computer. When you install free software from for example; CNET, Download.com, Softonic look at what is offered during installation. The installation of free-software is build to trick you into installing bundled software.
It is advised to always read the End User License Agreements (EULA) or Terms and Agreements before installing software on your computer. Do never click too fast through the installation process [Next] button of software as you will agree to software you might not want to install. If the installer offers an Advanced, Custom or Decline button, click it to find out if there is any other malicious software offered and installed during the installation process.
Remove Search Start Point from Mac OSX
AdwareMedic by TheSafeMac (free software!)
Take notice: if the download-link above – keeps you redirecting to all kind of pop-ups. Please enter the following url in your browser: http://www.adwaremedic.com/AdwareMedic.dmg
Adware is known to hijack links and redirect them to unwanted url’s. We’ve seen this happing a lot in our tests.
- Open the AdwareMedic DMG file and drag the AdwareMedic file to your applications folder.
- Goto your applications folder and open AdwareMedic.
- When Mac OSX alerts you, this software is downloaded from the internet, agree and click Open.
- AdwareMedic is free, totally free but for their work you might want to do a donation. Click Donate or Not Now to continue.
- Perform a automated adware scan with AdwareMedic by clicking “Scan for Adware“.
Remember: this is a adware scan, not a malware scan.
- If adware is found, follow the instructions.
Manual Search Start Point virus Removal for Mac OSX
Adware on Mac behaves almost the same on a Windows computer and often use a Browser Extension to promote it’s advertisement or redirects. In this manual removal instruction we are going to remove the possible browser extension for Safari, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. It’s is still advised to also run a automated removal tool as supplied in this instruction to check your computer for related adware files.
Remove Search Start Point from Safari
Goto Safari in the OSX menu and select Preferences
Goto tab Extensions and remove all extension listed in the panel using the Uninstall button.
Reset Safari OSX prior to version 8
When u need to reset Safari to default settings and thereby replace your default homepage back to the Apple website, follow this easy instruction.
- Open Safari from the OSX menu
- Click Reset Safari
- Enable all items in the checklist
- Click Reset button
Reset Safari OSX version 8 (MAC OSX Yosemite)
In Safari version 8 for OSX Yosemite, you cannot reset Safari by clicking some easy buttons. You need to go into the system files and remove anything plugged into Safari 8.0.
There is a easy way to reset your homepage.
- Select LEFT Shift button your keyboard
- While holding the LEFT shift, open the Safari browser by clicking the icon on your desktop or Dock.
- Goto the website you want as homepage for example: www.google.com and stay on this website
- Goto Safari in the menu
- Select Preferences
- By Homepage: click the button Set to Current Page.
- Close Safari and open again
- Your default homepage is now the homepage of your choice (if not, perform a scan with AdwareMedic as supplied in this instruction).
Remove Search Start Point from Google Chrome Mac OSX
Open Google Chrome
Select the Google Chrome menu and then Settings
On the left select Extensions and remove all extension listed in the panel using the trash can icon.
Reset Google Chrome
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings and find the “Reset browser settings” section.
- Click Reset browser settings.
- In the dialog that appears, click Reset. Note: When the “Help make Google Chrome better by reporting the current settings” checkbox is selected you are anonymously sending Google your Chrome settings. Reporting these settings allows us to analyze trends and work to prevent future unwanted settings changes.
Resetting your browser settings will impact the settings below:
- Default search engine and saved search engines will be reset and to their original defaults.
- Homepage button will be hidden and the URL that you previously set will be removed.
- Default startup tabs will be cleared. The browser will show a new tab when you startup or continue where you left off if you’re on a Chromebook.
- New Tab page will be empty unless you have a version of Chrome with an extension that controls it. In that case your page may be preserved.
- Pinned tabs will be unpinned.
- Content settings will be cleared and reset to their installation defaults.
- Cookies and site data will be cleared.
- Extensions and themes will be disabled.
Remove Search Start Point from Mozilla Firefox Mac OSX
Goto Firefox OSX menu select Preferences
On the left select Extensions and remove all extensions listed in the panel.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- Click the menu button and then click help .
- From the Help menu choose Troubleshooting Information.
- If you’re unable to access the Help menu, type about:support in your address bar to bring up the Troubleshooting information page.
- Click the Reset Firefox… button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
- To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
- Firefox will close and be reset. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish and Firefox will open.
** Remember to also scan your computer for adware using the free tools in the top of this instruction.