Trovi.com is a homepage hijacker also called Browser Hijacker, which is installed by browser extensions or addons. This homepage hijacker is bundled with freeware to promote Trovi Search and to make money using advertisements within the search results. Once this Trovi.com browser hijacker is installed on your computer, the default search engine and homepage for Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is replaced with Trovi.com. This Trovi.com homepage is not malicious process itself and may not be called a virus, but it does change security settings within your favorite browser and is distributed by freeware. Please be aware what you install on your computer. The Trovi.com browser hijacker is most likely installed by the computer user itself because it’s offered during the installation process.
It is advised to always read the Terms and Agreements before installing software on your computer. Do never click too fast through the installation process [Next] button of software as you will agree to software you might not want to install. If the installer offers a Advanced or Custom option button, click it to find out if there is any other malicious software offered and installed during the installation process.
Remove – Trovi Removal – for Mac OSX
AdwareMedic by TheSafeMac (free software!)
Take notice: if the download-link above – keeps you redirecting to all kind of pop-ups. Please enter the following url in your browser: http://www.adwaremedic.com/AdwareMedic.dmg
Adware is known to hijack links and redirect them to unwanted url’s. We’ve seen this happing a lot in our tests.
- Open the AdwareMedic DMG file and drag the AdwareMedic file to your applications folder.
- Goto your applications folder and open AdwareMedic.
- When Mac OSX alerts you, this software is downloaded from the internet, agree and click Open.
- AdwareMedic is free, totally free but for their work you might want to do a donation. Click Donate or Not Now to continue.
- Perform a automated adware scan with AdwareMedic by clicking “Scan for Adware“.
Remember: this is a adware scan, not a malware scan.
- If adware is found, follow the instructions.
Manual Adware Removal for Mac OSX
Adware on Mac behaves almost the same on a Windows computer and often use a Browser Extension to promote it’s advertisement or redirects. In this manual removal instruction we are going to remove the possible browser extension for Safari, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. It’s is still advised to also run a automated removal tool as supplied in this instruction to check your computer for related adware files.
Remove adware from Safari
Goto Safari in the OSX menu and select Preferences
Goto tab Extensions and remove all extension listed in the panel using the Uninstall button.
Reset Safari OSX
When u need to reset Safari to default settings and thereby replace your default homepage back to the Apple website, follow this easy instruction.
Open Safari from the OSX menu
Click Reset Safari
Enable all items in the checklist
Click Reset button
Remove adware from Google Chrome
Open Google Chrome
Select the Google Chrome menu and then Settings
On the left select Extensions and remove all extension listed in the panel using the trash can icon.
Reset Google Chrome
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings and find the “Reset browser settings” section.
- Click Reset browser settings.
- In the dialog that appears, click Reset. Note: When the “Help make Google Chrome better by reporting the current settings” checkbox is selected you are anonymously sending Google your Chrome settings. Reporting these settings allows us to analyze trends and work to prevent future unwanted settings changes.
Resetting your browser settings will impact the settings below:
- Default search engine and saved search engines will be reset and to their original defaults.
- Homepage button will be hidden and the URL that you previously set will be removed.
- Default startup tabs will be cleared. The browser will show a new tab when you startup or continue where you left off if you’re on a Chromebook.
- New Tab page will be empty unless you have a version of Chrome with an extension that controls it. In that case your page may be preserved.
- Pinned tabs will be unpinned.
- Content settings will be cleared and reset to their installation defaults.
- Cookies and site data will be cleared.
- Extensions and themes will be disabled.
Remove adware from Mozilla Firefox
Goto Firefox OSX menu select Preferences
On the left select Extensions and remove all extensions listed in the panel.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- Click the menu button and then click help .
- From the Help menu choose Troubleshooting Information.
- If you’re unable to access the Help menu, type about:support in your address bar to bring up the Troubleshooting information page.
- Click the Reset Firefox… button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
- To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
- Firefox will close and be reset. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish and Firefox will open.
** Remember to also scan your computer for adware using the free tools in the top of this instruction.