SmashTab is a browser hijacker. SmashTab redirects the browser’s default homepage, search engine, and new tab. SmashTab redirects the browser.
SmashTab is regularly manifested on the internet as a helpful homepage. In fact, SmashTab is a browser hijacker that gathers all kinds of browsing data such as search queries and cookies out of your browser and alters the browser’s new tab page.
The statistics gathered by SmashTab are used for advertising employment. The statistics are sold to advertising networks. Because SmashTab collects data out of your browser, SmashTab is likewise categorized as a spyware program (browser hijacker).
When SmashTab is installed, you will notice the following:
- The default search engine and new tab page in your browser are redirected to SmashTab.
- You notice a new SmashTab toolbar in your browser.
- SmashTab might show advertisements and track your search queries within your browser.
SmashTab browser extension will deploy itself in the Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge browser after successful infiltration. Note that no browser developer yet marks this browser hijacker as potentially dangerous.
If your browser’s default homepage, new tab, and search engine have changed to SmashTab and the SmashTab browser extension has been installed in your browser, remove the SmashTab extension as quickly as possible from your web browser settings. Also, make sure to remove adware from your computer!
Uninstall SmashTab extension from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the Google Chrome address bar and press ENTER on your keyboard.
- Find the “SmashTab” browser extension and click Remove.
Can’t remove the SmashTab extension because the extension is managed?
Uninstall SmashTab extension from Firefox
- Open Firefox
- Type about:addons in the Firefox address bar and press ENTER on your keyboard.
- Find the “SmashTab” browser extension and click the three dots on the right of the SmashTab extension.
Select Remove from the menu to remove SmashTab from the Firefox browser.
Uninstall SmashTab add-on from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click the menu (wrench icon) in the top right.
- Open Manage Addons from the menu.
- Remove SmashTab from Extensions and Toolbars.
- On the left open Search Providers settings.
- Find SmashTab Search and Remove SmashTab Search.
Do you still have SmashTab in Internet Explorer?
- Open Windows Control Panel.
- Go to Uninstall a program.
- Click “installed on” column to sort the recently installed applications by date.
- Select SmashTab and click Uninstall.
- Follow SmashTab uninstall instructions.
Remove SmashTab with Malwarebytes
I recommend removing SmashTab with Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is a comprehensive adware removal tool and free to use.
SmashTab adware leaves traces such as malicious files, registry keys, scheduled tasks on your device, make sure to completely remove SmashTab with Malwarebytes.
- Install Malwarebytes, follow on-screen instructions.
- Click Scan to start a malware-scan.
- Wait for the Malwarebytes scan to finish.
- Once completed, review the SmashTab detections.
- Click Quarantine to continue.
- Reboot Windows after all the detections are moved to quarantine.
You have now successfully removed SmashTab from your computer and browser.