xmrig.exe is a monero cpu miner that is distributed by malicious download managers such as InstallCaptical. xmrig.exe is detected as Riskware.Bitcoinminer by Malwarebytes and many more anti-malware protection suites. xmrig.exe is a nasty one as it hooks into the windows system and keeps coming back to mine for monero cryptocurrency.
Many favorite download websites that offer download managers monetize their free software and internet traffic thru download-managers. It’s these download managers that use deceptive and dangerous CPU miner deployments such as xmrig.exe, securedisk.exe, and websock.exe
Once a CPU miner has infected the computer, the xmrig.exe starts using the CPU to mine for cryptocurrency. The problem presists in the fact that these malware like monero miners are hidden by rootkits, and as stated before are hooked into the windows system which makes the xmrig.exe cpu miner very hard to remove manually.
How did xmrig.exe install on my PC?
Distribution: Download managers, deceptive pop-up redirects
Also known as: xmrig.exe virus, xmrig.exe adware, cpu miner, monero miner
If you install software downloaded from the internet, take notice there are no additional offers or useful enhancements installed on your computer. Some download managers do not adequately disclose that adware and CPU miners, such as this xmrig.exe will also be installed on your computer. When installing software on your computer, you should overview the End User License Agreements (EULA) or their Terms of Agreement before downloading and installing software onto your computer.
The Wise XMRig.exe CPU miner use scheduled tasks, windows services, PowerShell, and rootkit’s to prevent users from removing xmrig.exe and other malware from their computer. To successfully remove xmrig.exe from your computer, we need you to follow all removal steps we advise in this instruction.
How to remove xmrig.exe
Use this quick menu to remove xmrig.exe malware files, scheduled tasks, registry entries and services from your PC.
Make sure to follow all steps!
Remove xmrig.exe, complete the steps below
- Remove xmrig.exe files (recommended)
Windows 7 users: Click the Start button in the left bottom corner, select Control Panel, select “Programs and Features”.
Windows 8 and Windows 10 users: Right-click the Windows logo in the bottom left corner, select Control Panel, select “Programs and Features”.
Check the programs list for an entry Wise XMRig and other adware applications, select the application and click “Uninstall” or “Remove“.
Click the column “Installed On” to sort installed software by date, this makes it easier to detect recently installed software. Remove anything you don’t know.
If you don’t know what to look for, Goto Removal Tools
1. RECOMMENDED: Remove xmrig.exe with Malwarebytes
Dear visitor, we advise anyone that has a problem with malware on their device to scan the device with Malwarebytes! We have run many malware removal tests on infected PCs including adware, potentially unwanted programs, and ransomware. Malwarebytes is by far the best malware removal tool available today. Malwarebytes is always free to remove any malware from your computer. Malwarebytes premium is active for a 14 days trial license upon installation. Try Malwarebytes and see the results for yourself!
Malwarebytes is the most powerful anti-malware solution to detect and proactively remove adware, browser hijackers, viruses and potentially unwanted programs from your device. Malwarebytes works excellently alongside antivirus software without any conflicts. Malwarebytes is by far the best malware detection and malware removal tool available today.
- Run the Malwarebytes installation setup file. Click here for detailed Malwarebytes installation instructions.
- Select Scan Now to perform an Anti-Malware scan.
- Malwarebytes is scanning the computer for any viruses, trojans, adware, spyware, ransomware, and potentially unwanted programs.
Please wait for Malwarebytes to finish the anti-malware scan, the anti-malware scan usually takes around 2 to 5 minutes to complete.
- When the anti-malware scan is finished, Malwarebytes will show the results of the anti-malware scan.
To remove the detected malware from your computer, select the Quarantine Selected button.
- All found malware will be moved to quarantine. Malwarebytes requires a reboot to complete the removal process.
- Restart your computer.
- After the reboot, all the malware detected by Malwarebytes is moved to quarantine. The removal process is finished.
- Continue to the next step
Some malware is known to block Malwarebytes from running. If you encounter this problem, run a malware scan with adwcleaner. After the adwcleaner malware scan, start a malware removal scan with Malwarebytes.
2. Remove xmrig.exe with Zemana anti malware
Zemana Anti-Malware is an anti-malware scanner which uses the cloud for malware detection. Zemana is the fastest and most proactively malware scanner available. Zemana is its best in addition to a primary virus scanner.
- Open the Zemana Anti-Malware installer
- Install Zemana Anti-Malware using the default settings
- Zemana Anti-Malware will update itself
- Select the Scan button to perform a malware scan
- Wait for the scan to finish, it takes a few minutes.
- Select the Next button to remove the malware found on your computer
- That's it. All malware is successfully removed from your computer.
- Continue to the next step
3. Get rid of xmrig.exe for free with Adwcleaner
Malwarebytes adwcleaner searches for adware, browser hijackers, malware files and removes the malware files for free.
The Malwarebytes adwcleaner removal tool will individually scan for malicious windows services, malware folders, malware files, shortcuts hijacked by adware, malware registry keys, windows scheduled tasks and malicious browser extensions. Best of all, adwcleaner is completely free.
- Right-click the AdwCleaner executable you just downloaded and select "Run as Administrator" this is important.
- Select the Scan Now button.
- Wait for the adware & malware scan to finish.
- Click the Clean & Repair button to remove the adware and malware from your PC.
- Wait for AdwCleaner to remove the adware and malware from your PC.
- Click the Clean & Restart Now button to finish the malware removal process.
- After the reboot, AdwCleaner shows a summary of the detected and removed malware files.
Optimize your device, get rid of junkware